Winter Park Alimony Attorney
Protect Your Family, Future, and Financial Security
Unlike with child support, there is no set formula governing spousal support - also called alimony - in the state of Florida. Instead, the court will examine a variety of different issues when making a decision pertaining to spousal maintenance.
Some of these factors include the following:
- Length of the marriage
- Physical condition of both spouses
- Emotional condition of both spouses
- Age of both spouses
- Spousal contribution to the marriage, including homemaking and child care
- Financial worth and resources of each spouse
- Standard of living maintained during the marriage
The Various Types of Alimony
Just as there are several different factors that govern the amount and duration, if any, of alimony payments, there are also several different types of alimony. If you and your spouse are filing for divorce, it is important to retain an experienced and proven divorce attorney in Winter Park who can defend your rights and ensure that your interests are promoted during this difficult time. Your lawyer can also help you understand the various categories of spousal support, which include:
- Permanent period alimony - A mandatory monthly payment from one ex-spouse to the other that is usually ordered by the court for marriages of 14 years or more
- Rehabilitative alimony - A short-term monthly payment schedule used to help one spouse while he or she is returning to the workforce or an independent income level
- Lump sum alimony - A one-time payment of funds originally intended to be paid over a longer period of time
- Transitional alimony - Usually a one-time payment to help an ex-spouse who does not qualify for traditional alimony to return to self-sufficiency
- Temporary alimony - Alimony paid during the actual process of the divorce
Modifications to Court Orders
Alimony modifications can be obtained when there has been an unexpected, involuntary, and substantial change in an individual's ability to pay for support, or the other's need for assistance. With the assistance of the right attorney, you can effectively pursue the change that you need.
Substantial changes that may warrant modification:
- Health problems
- Significant raise
- Lottery winnings
When you need to make a modification to the support that you are receiving or paying, it is time to seek the experienced guidance of a Winter Park divorce lawyer from Richard A. Heller, P.A. Our firm can work from the outset of your divorce to ensure that your future is prepared for, and that the risk of modification is reduced.
Seasoned Representation for Your Divorce
Need a lawyer for a spousal support case in Greater Orlando? Divorce law can be complex, and this could be a very difficult and challenging time for you. Don't face marriage dissolution without strong and capable legal advocacy. Call Richard A. Heller, P.A. to set up a free case evaluation and learn more about how our Winter Park family lawyers can assist you.
Free Case Evaluations
We offer free case evaluations to all prospective clients! Reach out to us today to schedule some time to speak with a seasoned attorney.
Flexible Payment Plans
We do our best to accommodate our clients' financial situations by offering flexible payment plans.
Spanish Services Available
Se habla español! We offer our services in both English and Spanish.
With nearly 60 years of combined experience, our team of attorneys has the knowledge to handle your estate planning, family law, or elder law matters with efficiency and skill.